White House fails to meet deadline on detailing proposed defense cuts

The White House announced that it will not meet Friday’s deadline to make public what plans it will put into place to deal with the massive defense cuts coming at the end of the year.

The announcement comes shortly after President Obama signed into law the Sequestration Transparency Act that requires him to submit a report to Congress detailing the impact of his ‘sequester’ on defense and non-defense programs – cuts that were triggered after the so-called Super Committee to come up with a debt deal last year.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said the plans for defense cuts will be submitted to Congress by President Obama late next week. The plans should give insight to which defense bases and cities will be impacted by the defense cuts.

Carney accused Republicans of putting the nation at risk over the defense cuts “because of their insistence on preserving a trillion-dollar tax cut for millionaires and billionaires.”

GET MORE STORIES LIKE THIS

IN YOUR INBOX!

Sign up for our daily email and get the stories everyone is talking about.

Email

Previous post

Romney says latest jobs report shows Obama's out of ideas

Next post

Chuck Norris endorses 'Last Ounce of Courage,' powerful new film about patriots, religious freedom

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.