Rick Perry puts funny spin on GOP debate gaffe by reading Top Ten list on ‘Late Show with David Letterman’
Tongue-tied Texan Rick Perry made a beeline to New York Thursday in the wake of his disastrous debate goof in hopes of undoing the damage to his faltering presidential campaign.
“Oh shoot, no,” Perry answered upon landing, when asked by reporters if he was toast. “This ain’t a day for quitting.”
Perry tried to show he wasn’t rattled by taking a few more on the chin, this time in a pre-planned comedy routine, while reading the Top Ten list on CBS’ “Late Show with David Letterman.”
RICK PERRY DELIVERS ‘TOP 10’ EXCUSES
10. Actually, there were three reasons I messed up last night: 1) was the nerves and 2) was the headache and 3) um…uh…oops.
9. I don’t know what you’re taking about – I think things went well.
8. I was up late last night watching “Dancing with the Stars.”
7. I thought the debate was tonight.
6. You try concentrating with Mitt Romney smiling at you. That is one handsome dude!
5. Uh, El Nino?
4. I had a five-hour energy drink six hours before the debate.
3. I really hoped it would get me on my favorite talk show, but instead, I ended up here.
2. I wanted to help take the heat off my buddy Herman Cain.
1. I just learned Justin Bieber is my father.